Birthday Party Planning Made Easy
Kids birthday parties are particularly special at Sweetology. Making the guest of honor feel like a king or queen for the day creates a unique and lasting memory, which, to us, is the best gift we can give!
We work closely with our hosts to create a wonderful experience that ease the planning and allow them to relax and lets us deliver a fabulous party. Whether you are planning a party in your home or on location, follow these simple steps to sweet, party success!
Four to Six Weeks Before: Theme, guest list, date, venue.
- Choosing a theme for your party isn’t a necessity but sometimes kids have definite ideas about what they want…sports, princess, beach or the latest movie blockbuster.
- Make a guest list so you know your space and budget requirements. Parents will need to help with the guest list for younger children but once they enter kindergarten, your child will definitely have an opinion and should help with this process.
- Confirm your date with your child’s best friend(s)! It will be impossible to find the “perfect” date for everyone on the guest list but there is most likely at least one key friend your child will want to be there to celebrate.
- Book your venue! If you are not hosting the party at home, reserve your date and off-site location. You can reserve quickly and easily online, just choose your party date and location from our event calendar. Remember, you can host a Sweetology Decorating Party anywhere! We can even ship decorating party kits to kids!
- Considering entertainment? At Sweetology, most guests find the 90-minute decorating party experience a perfect fit and some opt to add a magic show or character visit during the party. Discuss this option with your Sweetologist. They may have preferred vendors for you to contact and you may need to add more time to accommodate the additional entertainment. You should book entertainment as soon as you have confirmed your date and time for the party.
Three to Four Weeks Before: Invitations!
- There are so many great options for invitations. Kids love to get mail but if you love the convenience of email, then you may want to choose an online invitation service. There are lots of great options available. Many crafty kids enjoy making their own invitations. This is a great way to get them involved in the planning process and start building the anticipation for the party. Be sure to include date, location with address, beginning and ending time, and RSVP’s! If you will be serving food, let parents know this information too. Be sure to allow plenty of time for the creative process and mailing. If you’re not particularly artsy or your child has selected a specific theme, hit up the local party store for ready-made invitations.
One to Two Weeks Before: Decorations, Supplies, Activities, Party Favors
- Sweetology is loaded with lots of eye-popping color but guests sometimes opt to add balloons or a few decorations in their chosen theme. Balloons can be ordered at the time the party is booked or added up to a week in advance. If you are hosting your party at home, you’ll want to order your balloons at least a week ahead of time to pick up the morning of your party. If your child has selected a specific theme, you may opt to buy a few decorations, plates and napkins to match the theme. We provide all supplies for our decorating parties including basic white plates, forks and napkins.
- If you are hosting your party at home or off-site and you are planning additional activities or games, make an agenda and timeline. Maintaining a good pace will insure your young guests are constantly entertained and engaged. Allow approximately 10-20 minutes for each game or activity, including lunch, cake, and presents. Purchase any necessary materials or supplies and secure extra helping hands for the party, if you will need them.
- Party Favors are included when you host a Sweetology Decorating Party! Each of your guests will take home their yummy, decorated, baked goods. Trinkets and candy are inexpensive favors that can be added or you may want to include custom aprons or t-shirts for your guests. It’s entirely up to you. If you are choosing a customized party favor such as an apron or t-shirt, you’ll want to be sure and order those well in advance.
- The week before the party, contact any guests who have not replied and confirm your number of guests.
2 to 3 days before:
- If you are planning to serve snacks or food at your party, purchase and prepare. Easy, nut-free finger foods such as pretzels, crackers, or cut-up fruit work great for kids. Pizza is always a popular option and can be delivered at any time you designate. Most pizza shops will let you order several days in advance of your desired delivery date.
- Gather any supplies, decorations, or materials you want to bring to the party.
- Coordinate any special birthday clothes your child may want to wear for the party. Nothing is worse than when your child is melting down because his favorite shirt is covered in grape jelly and it’s the only shirt he wants to wear!
- If you are hosting your party at home, decorate the night before or at least a couple hours in advance so you won’t feel rushed before the party.
IT’S PARTY TIME!
- Arrive a few minutes early to settle in and get organized. Generally, you can set up 15-30 minutes before the party but double check with your Sweetologist just to be sure..
- Encourage your child to help welcome their guests and get ready for a fun party.
- At Sweetology, our Sweetologists will take-over at this point and facilitate the party for you. They will guide the activities and keep your guests fully engaged throughout the decorating and clean up process. Once the decorating is completed, your Sweetologist will lead the group in the birthday song, blowing out candles and cutting the cake. Opening presents is optional, depending on time. If you have opted to add extra time to allow for pizza, snacks or entertainment, your Sweetologist will coordinate the timing of these activities as well.
- If you are hosting your party at home, follow your activity game plan. It’s your roadmap to staying on task and keeping things moving. Be flexible and expect that some things simply will not go exactly as planned. If you maintain your cool and go with the flow, generally the children will too.
- As parents arrive to collect their children, encourage your child to thank each guest for coming to the party. Later, once the ribbons and wrapping paper have been cleared and the sugar and adrenaline rush subsides, your child may write thank you notes for her friends. Homemade notes are lovely but ready-made will definitely do the job. Most important is the sentiment that includes a sincere thank you.
Good planning makes for a successful party. Whether you host your next party with Sweetology or not, we wish you sweet party success!