How we’re doing “Green” at Sweetology
It’s important to us as a company to create a business that can peacefully coexist with the environment. We continue to be on the lookout for ways to offset our impact. Here are the steps we’ve already taken to be a more eco-friendly business.
- Eliminating paper orders and entering everything electronically
- Re-useable frosting bowls in place of disposable containers
- Re-useable decorating tips
- The two changes above resulted in a substantial increase in washables. So, we recently added a commercial, high-efficiency dishwasher that will significantly cut down on the amount of water used for washing and the amount of water heated.
- Installed an energy-efficient hot water tank
- Incorporated a Sprinkle Bar with shakers. This has eliminated the need for either disposable or washable ramekins. We’ve also seen a big reduction in waste!
- All light fixtures are fitted with CFL or LED light bulbs.
- All recycle-friendly materials that cannot be washed and reused are recycled
- Refillable soap and sanitizer dispensers.
- Many of our materials and supplies are now being sourced locally to help cut down on shipping impact.
- We relocated our store into a smaller footprint to eliminate wasted, unused space.
10 Easy tips for Going Green at Home
- Switch to high-efficiency light bulbs. (They’ve improved LEDs dramatically and the prices are very reasonable these days.)
- If it’s time to replace an appliance, upgrade to an energy efficient model. (Look for the energy star label.)
- Stop using disposable shopping bags. There are some great re-useable options available. I love the ones that fold up to the size of travel tissues. I always keep one or two in my purse.
- Skip the disposable water bottles! Buy a re-useable water bottle. It doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. It only matters that you refill and reuse! My personal favorite is the Corkcicle Canteen. It’s a little pricey but it keeps water cold for hours and, because it’s metal, it has, so far, proven itself indestructible.
- Wash laundry in cold water and line-dry.
- Check your thermostat. Go a degree or two lower in the winter and higher in the summer.
- Turn the lights off when you leave the room.
- Unplug charging cords and appliances when not in use.
- Reduce junk mail. Opt-out of all those pre-approved credit card offers at optoutprescreen.com.
- Shop local markets and restaurants. Frequenting businesses that buy locally reduces the energy used to get the food to the marketplace.
Check out these great websites for more information and tips on going green: http://www.earthshare.org/green-tips.html or http://www.worldwatch.org/resources/go_green_save_green
Be sweet to this earth, it’s the only one we’ve got!
DeAnn Bingaman, Sweetology VP of Marketing