We love sprinkling the holidays with extra joy and cheer! Register for our Twelve Days of Christmas Give-away and you could win one of our delicious, fun daily prizes! We’ll have a daily winner beginning December 10th! Prizes vary but may include gift cards, candy, cupcakes, cookies, cakes, decorating kits and more!
Daily prize winners will be notified via email and/or phone. Prized must be picked up at Sweetology, 1232 Town & Country Crossing Dr., Town & Country, MO 63017. One winner will be selected daily. One entry per person. No cash value. All prizes must be picked up by 6pm, December 23, 2017.
These Spider Web Cookies are fast and fabulous! Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- round sugar cookies
- royal icing, white and a small batch of black (recipe below) Tip: icing should be a about the consistency of honey.
- Make a round outline around the outside edge of each cookie with the white icing and allow to dry for a few minutes.
- Using white icing, “flood” the surface inside the outlined area of each cookie. (If it is difficult for the icing to spread and level, you may need to thin it more with a couple drops of water)
- Before the flooded surface dries, make a bullseye pattern with the black icing. Begin with a dot of black in the middle and make rings around the dot.
- Using a toothpick, place the tip in the center of the bullseye and quickly drag out towards the edge of the cookie. Repeat this step until you’ve worked your way all the way around the circle and created the spider web.
- Allow to dry completely.
Royal Icing Recipe
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons warm water (this varies depending on desired application, start with less and add a little more water as needed)
- Food Coloring
In a bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder and warm water until stiff peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes. If icing is too thick, add a couple of drops of water. If icing is too thin, add additional confectioners’ sugar; continue beating until desired consistency. Tint icing with desired food coloring. Using pastry bag or squeeze bottle, decorate as desired. (squeeze bottle is a little easier for flooded applications). Use icing immediately. Keep covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent drying.
Meringue powder is available in specialty stores wherever cake-decorating equipment is sold.
Who doesn’t love a surprise? These fun cupcakes are an easy fun-filled kid pleaser! We’ve filled our with festive sprinkles, M&M’S U.S.A., Brach’s candy corn, gummy worms and Halloween Sweettarts but most any candy will do the trick. Enjoy!
You will need:
- buttercream frosting, 3 colors (we used purple, neon green and orange)
- piping bag fitted with large open star decorating tip (2D)
- press and seal or plastic wrap
- apple corer or small knife to hollow out the centers
- assorted candy for filling
Owner Kara Newmark accepts the award from St Louis Small Business Monthly for Sweetology as a Future50 Award winner, one of the area’s fastest-growing small companies.
How we’re doing “Green” at Sweetology
It’s important to us as a company to create a business that can peacefully coexist with the environment. We continue to be on the lookout for ways to offset our impact. Here are the steps we’ve already taken to be a more eco-friendly business.
- Eliminating paper orders and entering everything electronically
- Re-useable frosting bowls in place of disposable containers
- Re-useable decorating tips
- The two changes above resulted in a substantial increase in washables. So, we recently added a commercial, high-efficiency dishwasher that will significantly cut down on the amount of water used for washing and the amount of water heated.
- Installed an energy-efficient hot water tank
- Incorporated a Sprinkle Bar with shakers. This has eliminated the need for either disposable or washable ramekins. We’ve also seen a big reduction in waste!
- All light fixtures are fitted with CFL or LED light bulbs.
- All recycle-friendly materials that cannot be washed and reused are recycled
- Refillable soap and sanitizer dispensers.
- Many of our materials and supplies are now being sourced locally to help cut down on shipping impact.
- We relocated our store into a smaller footprint to eliminate wasted, unused space.
10 Easy tips for Going Green at Home
- Switch to high-efficiency light bulbs. (They’ve improved LEDs dramatically and the prices are very reasonable these days.)
- If it’s time to replace an appliance, upgrade to an energy efficient model. (Look for the energy star label.)
- Stop using disposable shopping bags. There are some great re-useable options available. I love the ones that fold up to the size of travel tissues. I always keep one or two in my purse.
- Skip the disposable water bottles! Buy a re-useable water bottle. It doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. It only matters that you refill and reuse! My personal favorite is the Corkcicle Canteen. It’s a little pricey but it keeps water cold for hours and, because it’s metal, it has, so far, proven itself indestructible.
- Wash laundry in cold water and line-dry.
- Check your thermostat. Go a degree or two lower in the winter and higher in the summer.
- Turn the lights off when you leave the room.
- Unplug charging cords and appliances when not in use.
- Reduce junk mail. Opt-out of all those pre-approved credit card offers at optoutprescreen.com.
- Shop local markets and restaurants. Frequenting businesses that buy locally reduces the energy used to get the food to the marketplace.
Check out these great websites for more information and tips on going green: http://www.earthshare.org/green-tips.html or http://www.worldwatch.org/resources/go_green_save_green
Be sweet to this earth, it’s the only one we’ve got!
DeAnn Bingaman, Sweetology VP of Marketing
Sweetology basic membership – decorate FREE for a year for only $4!
We’re continually looking for ways to make Sweetology St. Louis’ sweetest, creative destination! Along with the opening of our beautiful new store location in Town & Country Crossing, we’re introducing Sweetology Decorating Memberships! For our loyal, frequent decorators, you’ll love the sweet deal of a membership! If you’ve never been here to decorate with us, then, WOW, do we have some treats in store for you! Sweetology is the place where you come to decorate cookies, cakes, and cupcakes. Everything in our store is geared to assist you in creating a unique, one-of-a-kind masterpiece. You can relax and enjoy the process, while we deliver a hassle-free, memorable experience…and we take care of all the clean up!
When you decorate at Sweetology there is a standard, per decorator, Makery Fee of $4.99 that includes things like aprons, food coloring and flavoring and unlimited access to over 50 different sprinkles. With a Membership, that Makery Fee is waived so you get unlimited decorating AND you also get a complimentary birthday cake! That’s a $100 value! Below are complete details for both our Basic and Premium Memberships.
- Basic Membership: Each Member may come in for FREE with a waived Makery Fee for 12 months. You can come in and decorate as much as you want without incurring the $4.99 makery fee.
- Basic Membership also includes a Complimentary Birthday Cake that one of our Sweetologist will decorate and customize to your request. The Birthday Cake alone is a $46.99 value. So basically you are getting a free year of decorating for $4.00.
- Total Value: $100
- Basic Membership Cost: $49.99
We also offer a Premium Membership that includes everything in the Basic Membership but also allows you to have a
- Premium Membership: Each Member may come in for FREE with a waived Makery Fee for 12 months. You can come in and decorate as much as you want without incurring the $4.99 makery fee.
- Includes a Complimentary Birthday Cake that one of our Sweetologist will decorate and customize to your request. The Birthday Cake alone is a $46.99 value.
- FREE non-alcoholic beverage each time you come in to decorate
- unlimited decons (edible cake decorations) when decorating
- ability to reserve a seat in the Makery so that you never have to wait.
- Total Value $250.00
- Premium Membership Cost: $99.99
Memberships are available for purchase online or in the store during your next visit. Now put down that electronic device and get in here for some old-fashioned, creative fun!
We’re up and running now at the new location but we’re so excited about the new store, we want to celebrate with a Grand Opening party! Stop by to see the new store and decorate with us on this extra special, fun-filled day! Every hour throughout the day, we’ll giving away great prizes including Sweetology Decorating Memberships, cupcake kits, camp sessions, and other fun goodies! Sammy J will be on hand to make fantastical balloon sculptures for kids and later in the afternoon Princesses Belle and Sleeping Beauty will be in the store to visit with our little decorators. Bring your cameras! It’s sure to be a fun, smile-filled day!
- When: Saturday, May 6th
- 10:00AM-6:00PM: Open tables all day for decorating!
- 10:30-11:30AM: Free Cake Decorating Demonstration
- 12:00-2:00PM: Balloons by Sammy J, Free balloons for children
- 2:30-4:30PM: Appearances by Princesses Belle and Sleeping Beauty (free meet and greet)